SUPPLEMENTAL HEALTH ACCOUNT
HOW IT WORKS
The Supplemental Health Account provides plan members on plan “A” with additional flexibility. Expenses that exceed the annual maximums for Dental and Optical can be submitted towards this Account. Prior to January 1, 2024, Hearing Aid claims are also eligible under this account but after this date, Hearing Aids should be sent to Pacific Blue Cross for reimbursement. The claim requirements are the same with regard to required information as described in the Dental/Optical sections.
Your Supplemental Health Account can be utilized to pay for Pacific Blue Cross practitioners, but only if you or your covered family member reached the annual maximum with the provider. You must provide proof of reaching the maximum with Pacific Blue Cross.
|Supplemental Health Account
|$750 per family per year
Note that even with the January 1, 2022 change, this benefit is applied automatically to any dental and/or optical overages up to the $750 supplemental limit. If a member is managing their benefits and does not want the supplemental benefit to be applied automatically, you must indicate this by written request when submitting claims that may lead to overages.
Members must have at least four (4) months of coverage in the calendar year for them to be eligible to claim against this Account.
REQUESTS FOR EXCEPTIONS
Please note that the Supplementary Health Account can only be applied towards Dental, Optical expenses (and Hearing Aids up to December 31, 2023) and Pacific Blue Cross practitioners, where the limit has been reached (with proof provided). The Plan and the Trustees are frequently asked by Members if this Account can be used towards other expenses not covered by Pacific Blue Cross or the provincial health plan. Any exceptions are not eligible.
- Effective January 1, 2024, Hearing Aid claims are reimbursed by Pacific Blue Cross ($1,000 per 3 years) and not eligible for additional reimbursement under the Supplemental Health Account.
- Effective January 1, 2022, the Supplemental Health Account can be applied to Health Practitioners.
- Health Practitioners are covered thru Pacific Blue Cross (PBC), while the Supplemental Health Account is self-administered through our welfare office
- Going forward the Supplemental Health Account will be automatically applied to Dental, Optical and Hearing Aids, unless direction is provided to our office that you wish to retain the balance for Health Practitioner claims.
- The annual limits with Pacific Blue Cross are summarized in the booklet in the Forms and Resources Library section of this site.
The last day of payment for any benefit claims will be March 31st of the following year.